Friday 15 June 2007

First week in London



My trip started off really well, with seat 26B all the Way to London Via Hong Kong (for those of you who don't fly, that's a Business Class seat!). I basically slept most of the way, only drank 3 glasses of wine and watched two movies (loved Happy Feet!). So I arrived feeling semi human rather than crap like one does after such a long haul.


Who me? Jetlagged??


As soon as I got off the planeI got myself an Oyster card for the Tube and I was off to Wimbledon to meet my Aunt Beth and get set up in my new home for the next month. I have my own room, my own set of house keys and Beth lets me come and go as I please. I'm feeling welcome and at home already.

The first night I spent at home having dinner with my Aunt and Uncle and my cousin Victoria and her girlfriend Lara. After dinner we went to Richmond park, a reserve not far from my Aunt's place where there are deer roaming around. It was quite surreal watching all these Stag just wander past the car. I was pretty jet lagged and kept falling asleep ( that is so unlike me!). I woke up once to find a deer blocking our way, so we had to wait for it to move before driving on. It was a great way to start my time here and probably the most relaxing night that I have had here to date.


Aunt Beth, Victoria (Squizzy) and Lara


The next afternoon I met with Max in Soho (he's the Manager of Balans west in Earls Court, the restaurant where I am working for the next 2 months). Here I was thinking it would be a leisurely lunch, followed by cocktails when Max informs me that training starts that night at 7pm. So I had 2 hours to get from Soho, to Wimbledon, then back to Earls Court to start work that night. It would be the start of a very busy week for me that has not seen me have a minutes rest.


Balans West Earls Court



It's great working at Balans. For once I am not a manager, so if there are any problems I simply pass them onto to Max. The staff are all great, some what young ( the average age is 25, so at 33 I feel like a fossil) and rather camp, but it's all in good fun. It's extremely busy there and you don't really get a moments rest, but it's a welcome change from my life in Sydney.


Max and a workmate Richard


So since Wednesday I have worked every night from 7pm to close, which varies on the night from between 11pm to 2 am. I have become quite good at catching the night bus home from Earls Court. I catch the 74 to Putney Bridge and then Change to the 93 to Wimbledon. Each day I spend roughly one to two hours on public transport, which doesn't bother me as I have time to read. I am tearing through my book (currently reading Stephen King's Dream catcher). The only hassle is u have to be organised and plan your day accordingly. I have to take my gym gear, my work clothes, and a change of clothes if I plan on going out afterwards.

But it hasn't all been hard work, those of you who know me know that i can always manage to fit in a good time or two and I have certainly done that :)

Went to Bar code in Vauxhall on Thurs night after work and then had a HUGE night at Club Fabric on Sunday (DTPM). It's hard though trying to get up the next day and having to face work. Working every day, even though it's shift work, is much harder than operating a flight then having a few days off.

I spent the days off over the weekend with my 2 second cousins James and Josh. They are best kids and I have loved hanging out with them. We spent the day throwing ball in the park and eating Burger King (I know I know..I spent 40 minutes on the treadmill after that day!). But I can tell you I was shagged having to spent all day with them before having to front up for a 6 hour shift at work. ( I guess I just don't have the stamina of a 7 or 13 year old for that matter)


James

I have just had the past 3 days off work and have spent them trying to catch up on e-mails (I'm sorry if I haven't mailed yet, I'm getting around to it), buying socks (I didn't pack enough) and trying to catch up on sleep..unsuccessfully I might add too!!

Post ya responses. you can also e-mail me direct as well.

Hope that you are happy and well.

No comments: