Thursday 23 August 2007

An apple boob job and discovering my inner nudist in Alicante.



We packed our packs and heading for the train station. It never ceases to amaze me how everything fit in at the start of the holiday back in June. I haven´t bought anything, I´ve actually lost and thrown clothes out on the way, but it´s always a hassle to fit in all back in again. Susie is having even more trouble than me, we had to get an extra bag just for her heels!!


We had a 5 hour train ride down the coast to Alicante. It was amazing sitting back and watching the countryside change as we headed further South. It´s extremely dry and a lot more mountainous than I first expected.

I couldn't have been hypoxic, maybe I was just tired, but to pass the time and to amuse myself I started to play around with a pair of apples that I had in my backpack. I was being quite juvenile but I had both Susie and myself (and quite a few other people around us for that matter) in stitches of laughter. I was laughing so hard that I was crying and we were drawing attention to ourselves as we couldn't´t stop. Susie decided to get in on the act and is now considering a boob job after the popularity with the apples.



Alicante is beautiful. Initially when I was planning this holiday I had about 3 or 4 days free before we were going to Valencia, so I just looked at the map to see what other cities were around. I spotted Alicante, saw that it had beaches and was sold. I never imagined it to be as beautiful as it is.

There is a main city beach, Postiguet, which is overlooked by Castillo de Santa Barbara. This is the main beach frequented by tourists. Even though Alicante is a tourist destination, it is still beautiful and hasn´t lost it´s soul to the ravages of tourism as Mallorca has.



The most famous beach in Alicante is Playa de San Juan. It is to the North of the city and has to be reached by either car or train. The beach is amazing, wide, clean and is over 9 kms long. The views of the surrounding mountains from the beach are simply spectacular. We spent our entire second day lazing on this beach working on our tans.




That afternoon we decided to take a look at the Castillo de Santa Barbara. It was a bit of a hike to reach the top but the views of the coastline and city were superb.





On our final day in Alicante, Susie wanted to visit Playa Saladar-Urbanova, which is 5 kms south of the city of Alicante. It´s an uncrowded beach that is quiet and boasts several kilometers of golden sand and has sign posted areas for nudists!!



I never knew that Susie was a nudist. After travelling with her now for nearly a month we´re like an old married couple. Now there´s literally nothing that we haven´t seen of each other.

No comments: