Thursday 19 July 2007

Bibao and the Museo Guggenheim



After the late night of merry making at the Sociedad it was with a sore head and a full belly (still!) that I rose to catch the bus to Bilbao, one hour West of here.

Bibao is a larger city than San Sebastian, which is a sea side town in comparison. Bibao was an amazing contrast of old and new, with the most most incredible modern glass bulidings alongside the very old.

But the Guggenheim is the city´s showpiece and is one of the world´s most spectacular modern bulidings. The design of the buliding was inspired by the anotomy of a fish and the hull of a boat, both of which are parts of Bilbao´s economy (I did a tour of the Guggenheim..can you tell!!??). I did the tour in Spanish no less thank you very much!



I was fascinated by the design and the detail that went into the construction of the buliding. From the materials used,to the new technology that was developed for the construction, only added to my awe of the building. It is simply beautiful.



I was more intereseted in the building itself rather than the artworks contained inside, most of of which was Modern. The ´Fish Gallery¨on the ground floor is the size of a footbal pitch and at over 130 meters long, it´s Europe´s largest. (It´s always about size isn´t it?)



I spent over 4 hours walking around, and inside the building amazing at the curves and lines that Frank Gehry designed. No other building has had quite an impact on me. The Opera House is impressive, but this is incredible.

No comments: