Tuesday 24 July 2007

A bus ride with a Nun to Zaragoza and other tales



It was with a heavy heart that I said goodbye to my family in San Sebastian and bordered a bus for Pamplona. I was sad to leave after getting to know them again after nearly 12 years, but excited that the next chapter of my trip was about to begin.

Walking down the bus aisle, ticket stub in hand I scanned the seats looking for my number. I saw a Nun sitting about half way down and thought to myself, "Imagine sitting next to a Nun on the bus all the way to Pamplona! What would you talk about?" So it was with some surprise that I stopped next to her, looked up and matched my seat number to the one she was sitting in. Ah..I wouldn´t have to sit near the Nun as she had the wrong seat. Wrong! After comparing tickets we discovered that her seat was the one next to mine and she´d accidentally sat in the wrong one. I meekly suggested that she stay and I´ll sit in hers. I slid in to my seat and fumbled through my bag, trying to desperately not make eye contact with here again in case she would want to start up a conversation. I grabbed the iPod from inside my backpack and quickly stuffed the buds into my ears. I sat bolt upright for the next 2 and a half hours trying not to think sinful thoughts so close to a servant of God. Funny, I´m not religious at all but Nun´s kinda scare me.

The next leg from Pamplona to Zaragoza wasn´t much better. A woman sat next to me and for the entire trip told me everything about her life, from her broken first marriage, to her miscarriage, therapy and now how she´s feeling "mostly" normal again. My constant looking out the window, yawning and feigning sleep did nothing to stop the constant onslaught in Spanish, with barely a gap to take air.

Zaragoza could not arrive soon enough. The new bus terminal they they are building for the World expo next year is amazing!! It´s so HUGE!! It was a bit daunting pulling up and grabbing my pack.

Missed my stop on the bus at Plaza Espana and had to trek a few blocks in the blazing heat. It´s so hot and sunny down here, much hotter than San Sebastian was.

Found my hotel, checked in, grabbed my day pack and hit the streets. With only half a day to explore Zaragoza I wasted no time.

First I went to Aliaferia, Spain´s fines Muslim era edifice outside Andulucia. I was amazing!! The roof detail was incredible. I spent the entire time walking around looking up.



Next I went to Plaza del Pilar, where the enormous Baroque basilica looms over the Plaza. I slipped inside and had a look around. It was cool and quiet inside after the heat and bustle of the street.

Plaza Del Pilar

Catedral del Pilar

Got a quiet dinner planned in one of the local plazas then bed early as I have to rise at 6 am to take another two buses tomorrow morning to Torla, in the foothills of the Pyrenees. I will base myself there for the next week while I do self guided walks around the mountains. I´m a bit nervous but excited at the prospect.

No comments: