Wednesday 11 July 2007

Destination - San Sebastian

I phoned Tia Chiqui in San Sebastian on the mobile while on the bus from and told her that I was on my way.

I was picked up at the bus station by Ricardo, the husband of my cousin Natalia. At first neither of us recognised each other. I paced backward and forward, we were both eyeing each other out but neither of us were sure. I don't know whether it was because I looked like death warmed up ( I hadn't showered in 2 days, my white sneakers were torn open and covered in mud and I think I stank) or whether it was simply the passing of time (I prefer the latter).

I then spent the afternoon with the family at Tia Chiqui's place after a short stop at the house of Ricardo and Natalia to meet my new second cousins Nora and Eric. They are gorgeous and I instantly made a friend in little Nora. She prattled away constantly at me in Spanish and I had trouble keeping up with her. I had to hold her hand crossing the street, sit next to her at lunch and play with her constantly. She´s an absolute gem, and makes me wonder what my little Niece Arwen will be like at her age, I can hardly wait!

Nora with Natalia

They offered me if I wanted to shower first before lunch. The thought of a hot shower was so tempting but as soon as I knew that food was on offer I passed. (Maybe that was their way of trying to tell me that I was rank?) We had a typical Spanish lunch starting with jamon cerano and cheese, followed by arroz con pollo (chicken in rice). I was starving and had to hold myself back from devouring everything within my grasp. I didn´t want to make myself sick after not eating much for the past 4 days, and I didn´t want to make a bad impression on the family. I hadn´t seen them in 12 years and didn´t want to appear like an uncouth foreigner with bad manners. I managed to fill them in on my adventures in San Fermin in between mouth fulls of food.

Tia Chiqui, Natalia, Elena, Nora and Ricardo

After lunch we went for a walk along the beaches while Tia Chiqui and Elenena pointed out attractions and points of interest. I remembered a lot from my previous visit but the city does have some new buildings since I was last here.


I have now been in San Sebastian for 4 days and was finding it a little bit difficult to get used to the pace of life here. After a non stop month of work in London, followed by 5 days of partying in San Fermin it has taken me a little while to calm down and simply relax. After a few good nights sleep in a bed and a full belly most days I´m learning to. I have also found a local gym to take out my excess energy in so I´m well pleased!!

I did have some trouble setting up a Spanish mobile phone and I apologise to those of you who I sent messages to but could not respond to. I started to think something was wrong after 2 days of not getting a reply from Australia that something was up. I know that I have been gone nearly 6 weeks now (can u believe it!) but didn´t think that I was forgotten that easily. I have since changed mobile phone companies and everything works perfectly now (the whole exercise cost over 60 euro but we won´t talk about that!)

I nearly forgot birthday on the 10th. I am now the ripe old age of 34. Thank you to everyone who remembered and sent me a text and called me. It really means a lot to me and when away from home you really appreciate those things. It made me a bit homesick as well.

I spent the night of my birthday with my Cousin Elena and her friends having a few quiet beers at a tapas Bar here in San Sebastian. It was a lot quieter to what I have done in previous years but a welcome change.

Having the time of my life. wish you were here!!!

No comments: